Re: Downgrading v8.4 database to v8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Downgrading v8.4 database to v8.3
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jason Tan Boon Teck wrote:
> I need to move some databases written in Psql v8.4 to the stable
> production server running v8.3. I tried pg_dump and pg_restore as well
> as PgAdmin3.  I am unable to do so due to the backward
> incompatibility. Is there anyway to do this?

You can try connecting a 8.3 client to the 8.4 server, then running
pg_dump from that 8.3 client.  That's a  common approach for
dump/restore when moving forward a version, and it may resolve your
issue when moving backward one too.  The 8.3 client shouldn't dump
anything the 8.3 server doesn't know how to restore.