Re: Inheritance efficiency - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Inheritance efficiency
Date
Re: Inheritance efficiency  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> I argued that O(n) stuff will keep it away from "enterprise grade" applications.
> I've been told earlier that "It is fine for dozens of child tables,
> but not thousands;
> it does need improvement."
> This is not enterprise grade

Enterprise grade doesn't mean anything.  Partitioning designs that
require thousands of child tables to work right are fundamentally
misdesigned anyway, so there is no reason for any of the contributors to
the project to work on improving support for them.  There are far too
many obvious improvements that could be made to PostgreSQL, ones that
will benefit vastly more people, to divert resources toward something
you shouldn't be dong anyway like that.