Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
In response to Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Surely it would confuse people to see they have fewer than
>> min_wal_segments WAL segments.
>
> they wouldn't see that, that's the point of the setting.
I was thinking, in particular, about beginners poking around to see
how things look after an initdb.  Perhaps that state is too
transient to matter, but it struck me that you'd have fewer than the
minimum at the precise time a beginner might be likely to take a
look.  Unless on startup (and reload?) we created min_wal_segments
WAL segments if they didn't already exist.
-Kevin