Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
> There is no big use case for "run with HS turned off".
There was mention of running the live database and a warm standby,
with a connection pooler pointed to both so that it could
automatically reconnect on failover.
> Everybody wants it on, as long as it works and don't cause
> problems.
I don't see any immediate use cases for our shop, unless it is the
only way to get WAL copied to our backup server through SR.  Franky,
I'd much rather have a WAL receiver which assembled the WAL file
segments (at the "archive" level of logging) as they arrived and
then fed them to our warm standby clusters.  (Of course, I've never
claimed to have a "typical" environment.)
I would be uncomfortable with a default of "auto" for a replica to
allow connections based on WAL file contents.  If someone explicitly
sets it to "auto", then it's up to them to understand the
implications.  IMO, If someone sets it to "on", they should get a
highly visible failure if it can't run in that mode.
-Kevin