Re: WAL page magic number (was Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: WAL page magic number (was Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct)
Date
In response to Re: WAL page magic number (was Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Responses Re: WAL page magic number (was Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Browsing the history of XLOG_PAGE_MAGIC, it used to be incremented by
>> one whenever the format changes, at least as long as it has been been in
>> xlog_internal.h. It started at 0xD05B in 2005, and was incremented by
>> one by each commit till 0xD062. But then the hot standby patch bumped it
>> to 0xD166, and on March 19th Simon changed it to 0x9002, and on March
>> 28th to 0x9003.
>
>> Is there a plan somewhere on all that, or was it just random whacking?
>
> Random whacking.  Simon seems to have decided to try to make the number
> mean something, but it never meant anything before.  It's not a version
> number, it's a magic identifier.  We might need to avoid certain values
> to prevent collisions with other file formats, so I'm suspicious of
> trying to make it match up with some expectation.

Ok, for better or worse, I whacked it back to the old series.