Re: Hot Standby b-tree delete records review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Hot Standby b-tree delete records review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> You're missing my point. Those tuples are indicators of what may lie
>>> elsewhere in the database, completely unreferenced by this WAL record.
>>> Just because these referenced tuples are gone doesn't imply that all
>>> tuple versions written by the as yet-unknown-xids are also gone. We
>>> can't infer anything about the whole database just from one small group
>>> of records.
>> Have you got an example of that?
>
> I don't need one, I have suggested the safe route. In order to infer
> anything, and thereby further optimise things, we would need proof that
> no cases can exist, which I don't have. Perhaps we can add "yet", not
> sure about that either.

It's good to be safe rather than sorry, but I'd still like to know
because I'm quite surprised by that, and got me worried that I don't
understand how hot standby works as well as I thought I did. I thought
the point of stopping replay/killing queries at a b-tree deletion record
is precisely that it makes some heap tuples invisible to running
read-only queries. If it doesn't make any tuples invisible, why do any
queries need to be killed? And why was it OK for them to be running just
before replaying the b-tree deletion record?