Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> 2a. we can simply have the tracker export a dashboard status of:
>
> *) stuff that had no reply too (which is one of the open questions)
> *) if a commit has the bug id we could have it autoclose/autotrack that
> as well
>
> 2b. for the case of "not a bug"/"added to TODO"/"works as
> intended"/"pgadmin"/"JDBC" - we would either have to do a trival web
> interface to claim so or people could send status updates inline in the
> mail(at least the BZ emailinterface can take commands like "@close
> NOTABUG" or whatever)

That'd be really nice for triage and weeding. Reporting of bugs inactive
for longer than x days/weeks would be really helpful, too, as would
batch actions on them - "post follow-up reminder", "put in INVALID state
due to reporter non-responsiveness", etc.

> 2c. if a bug gets a reply but will never result in a solution per 2a or
> 2b we could add other dashboard as in "bug replied but no conclusion yet"

There are truly a few distinct states:

- New
- Responded, but reponder (who's probably doing triage and not a
  core dev) has no immediate answer. Needs attention from
  more skilled or specialized Pg folks.
- Incomplete report or needs more tracing/debugging/tests run,
  waiting for information from reporter
- Abandoned by non-responsive reporter
- Resolved/closed

with close reasons like:

- Duplicate of #bugid
- This is a help question not a bug report
- This is a feature request not a bug, it should be on the TODO
  (or not, if it's not accepted)
- Working exactly as intended, even if you don't like it or it's
  ugly that it works that way
- Fixed by commit
- Confirmed bug in 3rd party software, forwarded

Pretty much any existing tracker can do this, but especially if you want
a little bit of reporting ... is it really worth building a whole new
one for the job?

IMO all the above would be pretty handy, particularly when people are
looking for things later to reduce duplicate reports, get an idea of
what things confuse people most, etc.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/