Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation" - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"
Date
List pgsql-admin
Alexandre Leclerc wrote:
> - 2. Could we stop VACUUM FULL and simply restart postmaster and
> starting a normal VACUUM even if it's slow?

This is what you want to do.  VACUUM FULL is the slow way--much, much
slower--and it is not needed to clean up from wraparound issues.  Here's
two more opinions on that:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/5224.1255142294@sss.pgh.pa.us

And here's some notes about why you should avoid VACUUM FULL:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/VACUUM_FULL

(Note that you don't have a good CLUSTER implementation in your 8.1
server, so using that to clean up tables isn't an option)