Re: PostgreSQL with Zabbix - problem of newbe - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: PostgreSQL with Zabbix - problem of newbe
Date
List pgsql-performance
Krzysztof Kardas <krzychk2@gmail.com> wrote:

> synchronous_commit = off

> This caused a monumental performance jump. From a machine that is
> utilized on 100%, machine is now sleeping and doing nothing. I
> have executed some sqls on huge tables like history and all has
> executed like lightning. Comparing to MySQL, PostgreSQL in this
> configuration is about 30 - 40% faster in serving data.
> Housekeeper is about 2 to 3 times faster!!!!

If you have a good RAID controller with battery backup for the
cache, and it's configured to write-back, this setting shouldn't
make very much difference.  Next time you're looking at hardware for
a database server, I strongly recommend you get such a RAID
controller and make sure it is configured to write-back.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that things are working well for you now!

-Kevin