Re: a faster compression algorithm for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: a faster compression algorithm for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Joachim Wieland <joe@mcknight.de> writes:
>> If we still cannot do this, then what I am asking is: What does the
>> project need to be able to at least link against such a compression
>> algorithm?
>
> Well, what we *really* need is a convincing argument that it's worth
> taking some risk for.  I find that not obvious.  You can pipe the output
> of pg_dump into your-choice-of-compressor, for example, and that gets
> you the ability to spread the work across multiple CPUs in addition to
> eliminating legal risk to the PG project.  And in any case the general
> impression seems to be that the main dump-speed bottleneck is on the
> backend side not in pg_dump's compression.

legal risks aside (I'm not a lawyer so I cannot comment on that) the
current situation imho is:

* for a plain pg_dump the backend is the bottleneck
* for a pg_dump -Fc with compression, compression is a huge bottleneck
* for pg_dump | gzip, it is usually compression (or bytea and some other
datatypes in <9.0)
* for a parallel dump you can either dump uncompressed and compress
afterwards which increases diskspace requirements (and if you need
parallel dump you usually have a large database) and complexity (because
you would have to think about how to manually parallel the compression
* for a parallel dump that compresses inline you are limited by the
compression algorithm on a per core base and given that the current
inline compression overhead is huge you loose a lot of the benefits of
parallel dump

Stefan