Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Yeah, I agree.
>> It doesn't accomplish anything interesting on its own. But if you do the
>> planner changes to automatically use the materialized view to satisfy
>> queries (item 2. in my previous email), it's useful.
>
> But you can't do that with a snapshot view, only a continuous updated one.

A materialized view with manually-defined triggers to keep it up-to-date
is a continuously updated one.

Other DBMSs allow that with snapshot views too, you just don't get
totally up-to-date results, but I not sure we want to go there.