Re: pending patch: Re: Streaming replication and pg_xlogfile_name() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pending patch: Re: Streaming replication and pg_xlogfile_name()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Should we throw an error in pg_xlogfile_name() if called during
>>> recovery? It's not doing anything useful as it is.
>> I have no objection for now.
>
> Here is the patch.
> +     if (RecoveryInProgress())
> +         ereport(ERROR,
> +                 (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
> +                  errmsg("recovery is in progress"),
> +                  errhint("WAL control functions cannot be executed during recovery.")));
> +

The hint is a bit confusing for pg_xlogfile_name(). pg_xlogfile_name()
is hardly a WAL control function like pg_start/stop_backup() are. How
about "pg_xlogfile_name() cannot be executed during recovery."?