Re: dividing money by money - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: dividing money by money
Date
Re: dividing money by money  (Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com> wrote:

> quotient = (float8)dividend / (float8)divisor;
>     PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(quotient);

That was my first inclination, but the fact that two different
people talked about using division by '1'::money as a way to convert
money to another type has me nervous about using an approximate
type.  Any chance you could rework it using numeric?  I know it's
less trivial that way, but unless we provide a cast to numeric, I'm
afraid people will use the above trick, assign it to a numeric
variable or column, and then wonder why they've lost precision.

Or I guess we could leave this as you've written it and add support
for a cast from money to numeric.

-Kevin