Updating table, precautions? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Anjan Dave
Subject Updating table, precautions?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi there,

We need to update a table of about 1.2GB (and about 900k rows) size. I was wondering if I should let the regular cron job take care of clean up (vacuum db Mon-Sat, vacuum full on Sun, followed by Reindex script), or manually do this on the table followed by the update.

This is what I used to find the table size, which probably doesn’t include the index size. Is there a way to find out size of indexes?

select relpages * 8192 as size_in_bytes from pg_class where relnamespace = (select oid from pg_namespace where nspname = 'public') and relname = 'r_itemcategory';

Thanks,
Anjan

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the attorney/client
and other privileges.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance on
the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any other
use of this e-mail is prohibited.