Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Maguire
Subject Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom,
You hit the nail on the head with what we did.  We did two things and it
made a world of difference.

We moved from RAID 5 SCSII drives to our EMC SAN RAID 10 and adjusted
the checkpoint segments from 15 to 30.

The bottleneck disappeared totally and actually have never seen better
performance.

Two questions:

What are the implications to further increasing the checkpoint so say
40?

Also how does 8.0's background-writer feature work and what are going to
benefits?

Brian