Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Barnes wrote:

>   We are testing in memory postgres database and have questions about
> configuring the ram mount point and whether there is great gains in
> setting it up this way? Are there any considerations for postgres?
>
>   If you have experience, can you please give us some ideas on how you
> have accomplished this?

you might look into TimesTen... Oracle bought them a couple years ago,
they have an SQL database thats heavily optimized for memory rather than
block oriented disk.  it optionally uses a disk as a persistence backing
store.   Of course, the entire database has to fit in ram, and they
charge proportional to database size.    its extremely fast.