Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ozz Nixon
Subject Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?
Date
Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?  (John Gage <jsmgage@numericable.fr>)
List pgsql-general
On 3/26/10 10:06 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Scott Marlowe<scott.marlowe@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> These questions always get the first question back, what are you
>> trying to accomplish?  Different objectives will have different
>> answers.
>>
> We have a real-time application that processes data as it comes in.
> Doing some simple math tells us that a disk-based DB cannot possible
> perform fast enough to allow us to process the data.

I have to ask the obvious question... as we develop solutions which must
process 100,000 queries a second. In those cases, we use a combination
hash table and link-lists. There are times where SQL is not the right
choice, it is great for simplifying indexing and locks - but prior to
SQL *we* had to write code guys... and it sounds like you too need to go
back to old-school programming techniques.

O.