Re: Reducing excess files in pg_xlog - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Reducing excess files in pg_xlog
Date
List pgsql-general
Thom Brown wrote:
> I noticed there's 66 files in my pg_xlog directory.  I changed my
> checkpoint_segments from 32 to 3 as I noticed it was too high,
> restarted PosgreSQL, but there are still 66 files in that directory
> and they're taking up about 1.1G.
> How can I get this list of files down?

A checkpoint after there's been some write activity in the database
should reduce this down to a reasonable number.  If the system has been
idle since the last checkpoint, it doesn't do anything when you ask for
another one, which includes skipping this cleanup; that may be why you
haven't seen it drop yet.

I'm assuming you don't have WAL shipping turned on by setting
archive_command.  There can also be an excess of these segments that
can't be cleaned up if your archiving scheme fails.