Re: database connections and presenting data on the web - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: database connections and presenting data on the web
Date
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey wrote:
> We are trying to determine the best solution for a web based
> application. We have 13 databases (separate postmaster for each
> database) that we need to retrieve data from in order to produce the
> web page.  This data is changing on a regular basis.  Question is:
>
> 1. Do we:
>
>     for database in 1-13;do
>         connect database
>         retrieve data
>         disconnect database
>     done
>     display data
>
> 2. Or, do we have a common table for all databases that a daemon keeps
> updated and simply pull the data from that table?
>
> The data that's being retrieved is changing literally by the minute.
>
> The cgi code is perl.
3. Like 1 but with the use of a connection pooler like pgpool. Not sure
if pgpool supports asynchronous queries, but that would help as well by
pulling data from the 13 databases in parallel instead of serial: get
the queries onto the 13 servers without waiting for results, then as
soon as data is ready, get results and display.

regards,
Yeb Havinga