Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> I think we need to look at this as a single problem needing to be
>> solved, and then have the same solution applied to dblink and
>> walreceiver.

Agreed.

> Something like libpq_select() which waits for the socket to become
> ready would be required for walreceiver and dblink. But it's necessary
> for walreceiver on not only win32 but also the other, ...

Really, why? I thought this is a purely Windows specific problem.

Just replacing PQexec() with PQsendQuery() is pretty straightforward, we
could put that replacement in a file in port/win32. Replacing
PQconnectdb() is more complicated because you need to handle connection
timeout. I suggest that we only add the replacement for PQexec(), and
live with the situation for PQconnectdb(), that covers 99% of the
scenarios anyway.