Re: \copy command: how to define a tab character as the delimiter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: \copy command: how to define a tab character as the delimiter
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/09/2010 10:09 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Raymond O'Donnell wrote on 09.03.2010 18:39:
>> This is Postgres you're talking about - of course it's that easy! :-)
>
> :)
>
> The main reason I asked, was that the manual actually claims that '\t'
> can be used ("The following special backslash sequences are recognized
> by COPY FROM")
>
> As this is part of the description for the COPY command, does this maybe
> mean it is only valid for COPY but not for \copy?
> if that is the case, it should be documented somewhere).
>
> Or is this related to the value of standard_conforming_strings?
>
> Thomas

 From here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html
"The syntax of the command is similar to that of the SQL COPY  command.
Note that, because of this, special parsing rules apply to the \copy
command. In particular, the variable substitution rules and backslash
escapes do not apply. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com