Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date
Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
List pgsql-performance
Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Anyone has any experience doing analytics with postgres. In particular
> if 10K rpm drives are good enough vs using 15K rpm, over 24 drives.
> Price difference is $3,000.
>
> Rarely ever have more than 2 or 3 connections to the machine.
>
> So far from what I have seen throughput is more important than TPS for
> the queries we do. Usually we end up doing sequential scans to do
> summaries/aggregates.

With 24 drives it'll probably be the controller that is the limiting
factor of bandwidth. Our HP SAN controller with 28 15K drives delivers
170MB/s at maximum with raid 0 and about 155MB/s with raid 1+0. So I'd
go for the 10K drives and put the saved money towards the controller (or
maybe more than one controller).

regards,
Yeb Havinga