Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date
List pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> With 24 drives it'll probably be the controller that is the limiting
> factor of bandwidth. Our HP SAN controller with 28 15K drives delivers
> 170MB/s at maximum with raid 0 and about 155MB/s with raid 1+0.

You should be able to clear 1GB/s on sequential reads with 28 15K drives
in a RAID10, given proper read-ahead adjustment.  I get over 200MB/s out
of the 3-disk RAID0 on my home server without even trying hard.  Can you
share what HP SAN controller you're using?