SR/libpq - outbound interface/ipaddress binding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject SR/libpq - outbound interface/ipaddress binding
Date
Re: SR/libpq - outbound interface/ipaddress binding
List pgsql-hackers
While playing with SR/HS in a more complex datacenter environment I
immediatly hit the need to being able to specify the ipaddress(or
interface) that the backend(or libpq) uses to connect to the master.

There are a few reasons for being able to do so like:

* we are now suddenly in a situation where the backend can create
outbound connections on it's own so people will have to add firewall
rules and being able to guarantee the source IP will help maintainance
(otherwise stuff might break if you say add an alias IP on an interface)
* prioritising - if you know that replication traffic is on a given IP
you can actually do fancy stuff like routing it over a different gigE
line or giving it prority on a WAN connection
* some of those also apply to other libpq clients but those are usually
not in that complex network/system environments as servers are

comment?

Stefan