Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce the chatter to the log when starting a standby server. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce the chatter to the log when starting a standby server.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
>> 2. Why have a finish.replication file, rather than "SELECT
>> pg_finish_replication()"?
>
> I thought that the trigger file method was more easy-to-use for the
> existing users since it had been used in pg_standby for a long time
> so far. So I used it.

Also, you might not want to open the standby for connections (ie.
recovery_connections='off'). And even if you wanted, it might not open
because of some of the corner-case limitations in Hot Standby, so you
wouldn't be able to failover.

> But I agree that activating the standby via
> SQL would be useful for some cases.

Yeah.