Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce the chatter to the log when starting a standby server. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce the chatter to the log when starting a standby server.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/02/10 15:37, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Well, let's come up with something else then.
>
> continuous_recovery ?

One problem with the otherwise entirely wonderful HS/SR pairing is the
whole business of the config parameters. They feel too bottom-up.
Individually, each one makes sense but if you look at them on a page
they don't say master/slave replication to me.

What about something like:

# Primary
archive_mode             = producer
archive_producer_command = 'cp "%p" .../"%f"'
max_consumers            = 5

# Standby
archive_mode = producer, consumer
archive_producer_command = 'cp "%p" .../"%f"'
archive_consumer_command = 'cp "%p" .../"%f"'
consume_from             = 'host=... user=...'

Three other points that struck me:
1. Why have a separate recovery.conf file rather than just put the
commands inline? We can use the include directive to have them in a
separate file if required.
2. Why have a finish.replication file, rather than "SELECT
pg_finish_replication()"?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd