Re: Folder size growing. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Folder size growing.
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 09/02/2010 08:54, Malini_Singaravelu wrote:
> Installed postgre sql in my machine.  The size of the folder
> 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\base' is increasing day by day
> to the extent of occupying the entire hard disk.  Please let me know
> what needs to be done to keep the size at optimum level.

This is really a PostgreSQL question, rather than a pgAdmin one, but anyway:

Have you a lot of inserts and/or updates going on? An update in PG is
the same as an insert+delete. The space wasted by updates is reclaimed
by VACUUMing. Normally the autovacuum daemon should look after this,
though if certain tables are very busy it might not keep up, and so
these tables may need manual vacuuming. I think long-running locks and
transactions can interfere with autovacuum, though I'm not sure of this.

Finally, it may be worth posting to pgsql-general, which is where this
post really belongs. If you do, make sure to include as much detail as
possible - platform, Postgres version, etc etc etc.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie