Re: remove contrib/xml2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: remove contrib/xml2
Date
Re: remove contrib/xml2  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> There has been some more discussion lately of problems caused by contrib/xml2.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-01/msg00251.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-01/msg00198.php
>
> I think we need to either (1) fix the bugs and update the
> documentation to remove the statement that this will be removed or (2)
> actually remove it.  Nobody seems interested in #1, so PFA a patch to
> do #2.  It also rips out all the libxslt stuff, which seems to exist
> only for the purpose of supporting contrib/xml2.

The problem is that there are people who use the XSLT and xpath_table
stuff on text data and so don't run into these bugs.

I agree it's a mess but I don't think just abandoning the functionality
is a good idea.

cheers

andrew