Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Ross
Subject Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Ross <jross@wykids.org> writes:
>> Running a simple select only pgbench test against it will fail with an out of
>> memory error as it tries to vacuum --analyze the newly created database with
>> 7500000 tuples.
>
> Better look at the "ulimit" values the postmaster is started with;
> you shouldn't be getting that out-of-memory error AFAICS, unless
> there's a very restrictive ulimit on what an individual process can
> allocate.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks!

OpenBSD makes a _postgresql user on install and it is in the daemon class with
the following values:

daemon:\
         :ignorenologin:\
         :datasize=infinity:\
         :maxproc=infinity:\
         :openfiles-cur=128:\
         :stacksize-cur=8M:\
         :localcipher=blowfish,8:\
         :tc=default:

The OpenBSD specific readme suggests making a special postgresql login class
and bumping openfiles-cur to 768 but I don't see how that helps here.  Would
bumping stacksize also help?

Jeff Ross