Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/10 10:48 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> *That* makes pg_standby obsolete, not streaming replication per se.
>>> Setting standby_mode=on, with a valid restore_command using e.g 'cp' and
>>> no connection info for walreceiver is more or less the same as using
>>> pg_standby.
>> What about deletion of no-longer-needed WALfile copies?
>
> Yeah, good point. You can still use a shell script as restore_command,
> pass the %r option to it, and do the deletion there.
>
> I didn't intend to replace pg_standby when I started this, it just kind
> of happened. Maybe we should provide a sample script similar to
> pg_standby, to be used instead of plain 'cp', that does the cleanup too.

What I'm pointing out is that you haven't *quite* replaced pg_standby,
and at this late date aren't going to.  Some people will still want to
use it.  Especially for people who for some reason aren't using SR.

--Josh Berkus