Re: Questions about connection clean-up and "invalid page header" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: Questions about connection clean-up and "invalid page header"
Date
List pgsql-general

Greg Stark wrote:

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a parameter to set in the configuration or some other means to
shorten the time before an abandoned backend's query is cancelled?
You can shorten the tcp_keepalive settings so that dead connections
get detected faster.

This won't help. The TCP connection is already being closed (or I
think only half-closed). The problem is that in the Unix socket API
you don't find out about that unless you check or try to read or write
to it.

The tcp_keepalive setting would only come into play if the remote
machine crashed or was disconnected from the network.
That's the situation I'm having, so it's OK. Crystal, being a Windows application, obviously runs on a different server than the database itself, so the connection between them is TCP/IP, not Unix domain sockets. And furthermore, that was exactly the problem as I described it - the fact that the third party software, instead of somehow instructing Crystal to send a cancel request to PostgreSQL, instead just kills the client process on the Windows side.

Herouth