Re: tab completion for prepared transactions? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: tab completion for prepared transactions?
Date
Re: tab completion for prepared transactions?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Right, I vaguely recall that the idea of tab-completion for those
>> commands was rejected when 2PC was added because of that. A user sitting
>> at a psql terminal is not supposed to prepare a transaction. That's
>> application server's business.
>
> I think we should add a C comment documenting that fact.

Hmm, I thought we explained that in the manual, but I can't see it. I
think we should add a note to the ref page of PREPARE TRANSACTION,
something like:

"PREPARE TRANSACTION is not intended for use in applications or in
interactive sessions. It's purpose is to allow an external transaction
manager to perform atomic global transactions across multiple databases
or other transactional resources. Unless you're writing a transaction
manager, you probably shouldn't be using PREPARE TRANSACTION"