Re: How to cascade information like the user roles ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas
Subject Re: How to cascade information like the user roles ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks a whole lot and some :)

It's great that you actually did a working script.
I find it tremendosly easier to learn with a working example than with
some links to other documentation which makes or does not make sense.

I've got a 8.4 server so both ways work nicely.

Is there a way to prevent inheritance loops instead of denying
parent_id > child_id ?
Parallel inheritance has to work, though.   1  <-- 2 and 3 <-- 4

I found the function running into a stack overflow when I intetionally
created a loop to check what'll happen. At least this is a predefined
limit in max_stack_depth.
The with recursive thingy just kept going which generally tends to be
worse, I guess.

Regards :)