Re: large string storage in Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: large string storage in Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17/01/2010 1:51 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have to store 2 GB text in the database. Previously I was using Oracle
> database with CLOB data type.

Do you mean individual text objects that are 2GB or larger each?

Or do you mean you have a bunch of smaller (how big?) text objects that
add up to 2GB or so?

Assuming you mean individual objects >= 2GB, you'll have to use
PostgreSQL BLOBs or use external files.

What do you need to do with this text? What operations are you
performing on it? Full-text search?

> Could anyone please tell me how can I do it in Postgresql 8.0 or later?

Do you need to actually support 8.0? For a new project I'd favour
starting with 8.3 or 8.4 .

--
Craig Ringer