Trouble connecting to database using PQconnectdb (C/libpq) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Alpers
Subject Trouble connecting to database using PQconnectdb (C/libpq)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello -

I am working on moving my WEB pages, which include searches in a PostgreSQL
data base, through "libpq".

Old system:   Red Hat Linux 9, PostgreSQL 7.4.6

New system:  Fedora 11, PostgreSQL 8.4

When I re-compile the program (using updated gnu C++ compilers/libs),
the new version --will-- connect to the data base if I run the CGI program
from the command line, but will --NOT-- connect if I call the CGI program
from a web page.

Here is the C/C++ code:
------------------------------

const char *pcDbArgs = "user=joela  dbname=photodb  port=5432
host=192.168.111.7";
const char *pcDbName = "photodb";

  //
  // Connect to PostGresQL data base....
  //
  printf("\nCalling PQconnectdb(%s)\n", pcDbArgs);
  gpPhotoDb = PQconnectdb (pcDbArgs);
  if (PQstatus(gpPhotoDb) != CONNECTION_OK)
    vExit("Can't connect to database \"%s\" - %s\n", pcDbName,
          PQerrorMessage(gpPhotoDb));
  printf("Successful connection!\n\n");

(vExit is a simple function that formats an error message)

When run from an HTML page:
Error message:
------------------

Calling PQconnectdb(user=joela  dbname=photodb  port=5432  host=192.168.111.7)

*** Error - Can't connect to database "photodb" - could not connect to server: Permission denied
    Is the server running on host "192.168.111.7" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I have verified that the postgresql server --is-- running on the server
machine, and --is-- listening on 5432.

I am sure I am leaving something out, so please write if you need more info.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Joel.