Re: pl/perl setof function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: pl/perl setof function
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/13/2010 1:26 PM, Andy Colson wrote:
> On 1/13/2010 12:20 PM, Alex - wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i have a PL/PERL RETURN SETOF function which processes a few 10k records.
>> The processing takes quite some time and in order to display progress
>> I use a return_next after every few thousand records.
>>
>> However, the function returns all messages when it completes and exists
>> which is not really what i want. I also tried the elog NOTICE but then I
>> only get the messages back to the psql.
>>
>> I am calling the function from a perl script and would like to catch
>> these progress messages.
>>
>> Is there any way to solve my problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Alex
>>

> In the doc's you'll see that return_next copies the record into an
> in-memory table which is then returned once the storedproc is finished.
>
> Not sure how raise works though.
>
> -Andy

Humm.. further to that, you could probably catch the notices from perl
with this:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Pg/Pg.pm#pg_notifies

I'm assuming elog is like raise, and that they get sent immediately and
not when the stored proc is finished.

-Andy