Re: Testing with concurrent sessions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marko Tiikkaja <marko.tiikkaja@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> On 2010-01-07 00:08 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Then I don't see much of a point in using Perl.  You might as
>> well fire up a few psqls from a shell script.
>
> I don't see how that would work, but I might have misunderstood
> what we're reaching for here.  What I think would be most useful
> would be to interleave statements between transactions, not just
> randomly fire psql sessions and hope for race conditions.
Yeah, I want to test specific interleavings of statements on
concurrent connections.  There may *also* be some tests which throw
a lot at the server concurrently in a more random fashion, but it is
important to be able to have some very controlled tests where we
don't count on randomly creating the desired conflicts.
It would be valuable to be able to include some of these tests with
controlled and predicatable statement interleavings in the "make
check" tests.
-Kevin