Re: getting extract to always return number of hours - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris
Subject Re: getting extract to always return number of hours
Date
List pgsql-sql
Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get extract() to always return the number of hours between
> two time intervals, ala:
>
> => create table t1(timestart timestamp, timeend timestamp);
> => insert into t1(timestart, timeend) values ('2010-01-01 00:00:00',
> '2010-01-02 01:00:00');
>
> => select timeend - timestart from t1;
>     ?column?
> ----------------
>  1 day 01:00:00
> (1 row)
>
> to return 25 hours.

I ended up with

select extract('days' from x) * 24 + extract('hours' from x) from
(select (timeend - timestart) as x from t1) as y;

mainly because t1 is rather large so I didn't want to run the end -
start calculation multiple times.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/