Re: invalid UTF-8 via pl/perl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: invalid UTF-8 via pl/perl
Date
List pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> Second, It produces errors like this:
>>
>>   andrew=# select 'a' || invalid_utf_seq() || 'b';
>>   ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xd0
>>   HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not
>>   match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
>>   "client_encoding".
>>   CONTEXT:  PL/Perl function "invalid_utf_seq"
>>   andrew=#
>>

>> That hint seems rather misleading. I'm not sure what we can do about it though. If we set the noError param on
pg_verifymbstr()we would miss the error message that actually identified the bad data, so that doesn't seem like a good
plan.

> I'm sure I'm just revealing my ignorance here, but how is the hint misleading?

The string that causes the trouble does not come from the client and has
nothing to do with client_encoding.

cheers

andrew