Re: Admission Control Policy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Admission Control Policy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:
> Le 28 déc. 2009 à 22:59, Kevin Grittner a écrit :
>> (3)  With the ACP, the statements would be parsed and optimized
>> before queuing, so they would be "ready to execute" as soon as a
>> connection was freed.
>
> There's a pgfoundry project called preprepare, which can be used
> along with pgbouncer to get this effect. If you use 8.4, you can
> even get the effect without pgbouncer.
>
>   http://preprepare.projects.postgresql.org/README.html
I just reviewed the documentation for preprepare -- I can see a use
case for that, but I really don't think it has a huge overlap with
my point.  The parsing and planning mentioned in my point 3 would
apply to any query -- ad hoc, generated by an ORM, etc.  The
preprepare project seems to be a way to create "persistent prepared
statements" which are automatically materialized upon connection.
-Kevin