Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As far as the ability to add enum values using ALTER TYPE, it seems we
> would need a pg_enum.enumnum column like we do for pg_attribute.attnum
> and order on that rather than pg_enum.oid.   (Binary upgrade would still
> need to preserve oids.)

I don't that's necessarily a good way to go - being able to sort by the
actual stored value is an efficiency point. I think we might need to
look at implementing a more extensible enum type, which would allow new
values to be appended to and possibly inserted into the list of labels,
but anyway that's really a separate subject from pg_migrator.

cheers

andrew