Re: Segfault from PL/Perl Returning vstring - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Segfault from PL/Perl Returning vstring
Date
List pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:34 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>

>> On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
>>

>>> You're using 5.8.8. In 5.10.0 $^V was changed to be an object.
>>>
>>> I'm working in that area. I'll look into it.
>>>
>> While you're at it, I have a new problem:
>>
>>    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION wtf(
>>         expression text
>>    ) RETURNS text LANGUAGE plperl AS $$
>>        return "{$_[0]}";
>>    $$;
>>
>>    try=# select wtf('foo');
>>     wtf
>>    -----
>>     {
>>    (1 row)
>>
>> Note how I don't even get the closing "}". This does not happen with PL/PerlU. The denizens of #postgresql think
thatthere's some sort of issue with Safe and Encode or Encode::Alias (the latter `require`s Encode in two if its
methods).Can you replicate it? It's driving me absolutely batshit. I'm using Perl 5.10.2, Safe 2.20, and Encode 2.39.

> Also, my encoding is en_US.UTF-8. I think it matter that it's UTF-8, to judge by the
>
>         if (GetDatabaseEncoding() == PG_UTF8)
>
> Block in plperl.c.

I cannot reproduce this.  I tested with perl 5.10.1 which is the latest
reported stable release at <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>, on an
8.4.2 UTF8 database, and with the same Safe and Encode module versions
as above.

cheers

andrew