Re: Segfault from PL/Perl Returning vstring - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Segfault from PL/Perl Returning vstring
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On mån, 2009-12-21 at 14:46 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> BTW, this should arguably not be an immutable function. You could
>> replace the perl library, so it's not solely dependent on the input
>> for
>> the result.
>>

> By this logic, no function could be immutable, because you could replace
> the C library or parts of the kernel.

*shrug* Maybe, OTOH upgrading perl is not such an unusual operation, and
doing so *will* affect this value. It's a bit hard to see why one would
want the perl version to be immutable. It doesn't look like it would be
much use in an index ....

I think people are generally safer not marking functions immutable
unless they actually need them to be.

cheers

andrew