Re: Table size does not include toast size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Table size does not include toast size
Date
Re: Table size does not include toast size  (Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Perhaps invent    pg_table_size() = base table + toast table + toast index
> and        pg_indexes_size() = all other indexes for table
> giving us the property pg_table_size + pg_indexes_size =
> pg_total_relation_size

Right; that's exactly the way I'm computing things now, I just have to
crawl way too much catalog data to do it.  I also agree that if we
provide pg_table_size, the issue of "pg_relation_size doesn't do what I
want" goes away without needing to even change the existing
documentation--people don't come to that section looking for "relation",
they're looking for "table".

Bernd, there's a basic spec if you have time to work on this.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com