Re: Something like Oracle Forms, but Open Source to use with PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Bailey
Subject Re: Something like Oracle Forms, but Open Source to use with PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ivan Voras wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> Andre Lopes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need to know if there is something like Oracle Forms in the Open
>>> Source world that works with PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> If do you know something, please let me know.
>>
>> perhaps OpenOffice Data could do what you need.  I'm not real familiar
>> with Oracle Forms, but I know OOo Data can connect to most any
>> database including postgres, and it can be used to build 'forms' based
>> database applications with queries and reports...    its somewhat akin
>> to Microsoft Access in basic functionality.
>
> Only in the sense that stone tablets are akin to e-ink. OOo Base is
> buggy and unusable.

Oracle Forms are stone tablets! Come on over to this side of the 90's.
Adobe Flex is really nice for building both web 2.0 and cross platform
desktop apps. It is especially nice for databases like Oracle, DB2 and
Postgres that handle XML well.

You'll have to write your own CRUD procedures. We extract the data as
XML, use bi-directional binding on the Flex app, and send the same XML
back to the database to save. Super easy, and minimal middle tier
coding. The Flex framework is open source. But the Flex Builder/Flash
Builder IDE is not.

Scott Bailey