Re: Server Requirements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Madison Kelly
Subject Re: Server Requirements
Date
List pgsql-general
Christine Penner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we have clients that are going to buy new computers or upgrade
> current ones, what we can recommend to them for optimal system
> performance to run Postgres. These can be servers or desktop PCs. We can
> have from 1-10 users in at a time. At this point all of our database's
> are small but that can change of course.

Hi Christine,

   The problem with this question is that it is far too vague to be able
to answer in any meaningful way. You need to add some information to
your request. Things like:

- Data set size; How many tables, how many columns, how fast will it
grow, what kind of data are in the columns?
- Performance; are you using triggers, functions, a lot of complex or
simple queries, lots of UPDATEs, INSERTs and DELETEs?
- Redundancy; How do you plan to backup the data? What performance
criteria do you have? What's your acceptable down time in the case of a
failure?
- Interface; Users is one thing, but how many transactions will these
users incur?
- Budget; How much is your client willing to invest? What about
long-term maintenance or support contracts?
- Environment; What operating system will postgres run on?

   Answer these questions and you will find the hardware requirements
will likely begin to become self-evident. If not, ask here again with
this info and we'll be much more able to help. :)

Madi