Re: BUG #5244: Attempting to rollback to a savepoint after receiving an error with state 55000 the process hangs - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: BUG #5244: Attempting to rollback to a savepoint after receiving an error with state 55000 the process hangs
Date
In response to BUG #5244: Attempting to rollback to a savepoint after receiving an error with state 55000 the process hangs  ("Philip Graham" <philip@lightbox.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
Philip Graham wrote:

> Bug reference:      5244
> Logged by:          Philip Graham
> Email address:      philip@lightbox.org
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.8
> Operating system:   Linux
> error with state 55000 the process hangs
> Details:
>
> This may be a PHP so please excure me if it is.
>
> <?php
> $pdo = new PDO('pgsql:host=localhost;dbname=a_db', 'a_user', 'my_pass');
> $pdo->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
>
> echo 'Creating test objects'."\n";
> $pdo->query('CREATE SEQUENCE test_seq');
>
> echo 'Setup complete'."\n";
> $pdo->beginTransaction();
>
> try {
>     echo 'Setting savepoint'."\n";
>     $pdo->query('SAVEPOINT pre_id_fetch');
>     echo 'Fetching value'."\n";
>     $stmt = $pdo->query('SELECT currval(\'test_seq\');');
>     $curId = $stmt->fetchColumn();
>     echo 'Releasing savepoint'."\n";
>     $pdo->query('RELEASE SAVEPOINT pre_id_fetch');
> } catch (PDOException $e) {
>     echo 'Rolling back'."\n";
>     $pdo->query('ROLLBACK TO pre_id_fetch');
>     $curId = 0;
> }
>
> echo 'Cur Id: ',$curId,"\n";
>

> Running this code it hangs after echoing 'Rolling back', but only hangs
> every other execution (assuming the sequence was deleted first).

I think you need to be using $pdo->exec instead of $pdo->query for
everything *except* the SELECT operation.  The query method is really
only intended for statements returning rows. Making the indicated
changes stops the hang for me (Php 5.3.2)

regards

Mark