Re: Too many postgres.exe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Too many postgres.exe
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15/12/2009 5:51 PM, A.Bhattacharya@sungard.com wrote:

> However whenever my application is running I could see there are too
> many postgres.exe are created even though the application is not doing
> anything in database.

What is "too many" ?

What does:

   SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;

show?

How are you talking to PostgreSQL? Direct JDBC? An ORM like Hibernate?
Which one? What JDBC driver version? Are you using a connection pool?
Which one?

The people on this mailing list are, with the possible exception of Tom,
not psychic. Some kind of details will help your question get a better
answer, more quickly. See:

   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

> In general the observation is that there are too many progress.exe
> processes get created every time I run my application and it
> postgres.exe eats up the maximum memory.

Then your server is not configured correctly. Set max connections,
shared_buffers, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, etc so that your server
cannot consume too much memory.

--
Craig Ringer