Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KaiGai Kohei
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'd like to summary about the framework.

* Functionalities

The ACE framework hosts both of the default PG checks and upcoming
enhanced securities. We can build a binary with multiple enhanced
security features, but user can choose one from them at most due
to the security label management.

So, it basically has the following structure:
 Value * ac_database_create([arguments ...]) {     Value *retval = NULL;
     /*      * The default PG checks here. It is never disabled.      */
     switch (ace_feature)     { #ifdef HAVE_SELINUX     case ACE_SELINUX_SUPPORT:         if (sepgsql_is_enabled())
       retval = sepgsql_database_create(...);         break; #endif #ifdef HAVE_SMACK     case ACE_SMACK_SUPPORT:
 if (smack_is_enabled())             retval = smack_database_create(...);         break; #endif     default:
break;    }     return retval; }

* Namespace

The framework is stored in the src/backend/security/ace.
As a general rule, Each source file has this naming convension: src/backend/security/ace/<object_class>_ace.c

Uncategolized hooks (such as cascaded-deletion called from dependency
system) are stored in ace/sysobj_ace.c. It is an exception.

All the framework functions (except for static) have "ace_" prefix
to distinguish from any other internal routines.

The security providers (SELinux, upcoming SMACK, ...) specific files
are stored in a certain directory in src/backend/security/ace/.
SE-PgSQL shall use "sepgsql" directory.

* Documentation

I don't plan to provide SGML documentation about ACE itself, except for
internal section, because it is an internal infrastructure.
For developers, src/backend/security/ace/README will provide a brief
overview of the ACE framework, and every security hooks have source
code comments to introduce the specification of itself.

* Patches

As a general rule, a patch is organized for each object classes, except
for very tiny object classes.
e.g) pgsql-ace-02-database.patch pgsql-ace-03-schema.patch    :

I'll try to submit a set of patches related to the following object classes
and functionalities by the 12/16.
* pgsql-ace-01-common.patch  It contains common part of ACE and uncategolized ones, such as cascaded  deletion from
dependency,and so on.* pgsql-ace-02-database.patch  It contains security hooks related to pg_database.*
pgsql-ace-03-schema.patch It contains security hooks related to pg_namespace.* pgsql-ace-04-relation.patch  It contains
securityhooks related to pg_class and pg_attribtue* pgace-ace-05-label.patch  It contains security label support in SQL
statement.

I'd like to conclude arguable things earlier than whole of reworks.

Then, we shall be able to see the rest of patches within this year.

Thanks,

--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>