Re: pg_dump and ON DELETE CASCADE problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: pg_dump and ON DELETE CASCADE problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/12/2009 3:31 AM, CG wrote:
> Hi all,
> We're using PostgreSQL 8.4 ... We do our nightly database backups with
> pg_dump. I was doing a test restore and I encountered some data during
> the reload that was in a table against the conditions of a foreign key
> constraint. I run my restores with the "-e" option to halt on errors, so
> this data halted the restore... I went to check the running database and
> the row in question had been deleted.

> I had defined the foreign key to cascade on delete, and I imagine that
> during the dump the delete occurred on the master table. Perhaps the
> keyed table had already been dumped so when it came time to dump the
> master table, the referencing row was not there to be dumped.

pg_dump does all its work in a single serializable transaction to avoid
this sort of problem. It doesn't see any changes made to the database
after it starts. So, assuming you used pg_dump to dump the database as a
whole rather than invoking it separately for a bunch of separate tables,
that should not be your problem.

How do you run pg_dump? Can you supply the script or command line?

> One would
> imagine that PostgreSQL would have protections for that sort of thing...

It does, which is what makes the issue you've encountered somewhat strange.

--
Craig Ringer